Visiting Scholar Program
The Berkeley Lab International Energy Analysis Department Visiting Scholar Program hosts professionals, scholars, and researchers from around the world to work collaboratively on topics related to clean energy, energy efficiency and environmental impacts.
Visiting scholars work on-site and enjoy access to the intellectual resources of Berkeley Lab to further their research and contribute to ongoing or emerging areas of research.
We are particularly interested in welcoming researchers who focus on the following topics:
- Dynamics of clean energy and energy efficiency technologies and policies
- Innovative financing and program design for clean energy and energy efficiency
- Deep decarbonization of the industry, transport and/or power sector
- Circular Economy
- Short-lived Climate Pollutants
- Smart infrastructure
- Water technologies or policy
- Innovation in thermal comfort
How to Apply
Applicants to be considered for our Visiting Scholars Program should have:
- A background in one or more of the above topics with demonstrated relevant research, policy, technology and/or publication experience
- Identified a relevant research project and potential host as part of the application process
- Committed to working on-site at Berkeley Lab for a period of three months up to one year except for senior, C-level executives/policymakers.
- Secured funding to support expenses for the duration of the assignment
- Demonstrated basic English proficiency
If you are interested in finding out more, please send a brief description of your research interest and your CV to Sammi Leung at [email protected]. Prospective applicants will be asked to submit an application based on identification of mutual interests with IEAD. Applications will be reviewed and final selection will be based on alignment with our current research priorities and projects and space availability.
Applications are selected throughout the year and are typically acted upon shortly after receipt.
In the past, we have served as host institution for the following scholarship programs:
|Brazil||Sao Paulo Research Foundation|
|Chile||Programa de Cooperación Internacional|
|China||China Scholarship Council|
|Egypt||The U.S. - Egypt Science and Technology Joint Fund|
|France||Programme Fulbright Doctorants|
|Indonesia||American Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF)|
|Japan||Overseas Research Fellowships Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)|
COMEXUS (Fulbright Program)
|South Korea||The National Research Foundation of Korea|
|Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe||Techwomen|